Friday, July 10, 2009

Is this my fate?


I saw this link to a story about a 106-year-old woman who has never been married and is still looking for the love of her life. I can't help but panic and wonder if this will be my fate. (Note: the photo is not the woman from the story. It's just what I imagine myself to be when I'm and old lady still looking for love.)


Single girl (106) still looking for a man!

AT 106 YEARS of age, Castledermot woman Statia Kealy is probably one of Ireland’s oldest living citizens. And yet, despite her wonderful age, Statia, who managed to stay single all her life, has no intention of giving up and is still searching for that man of her dreams.

Even as she happily poses for our photographer, Piotr, she jokingly says to him, “I hope you find me a man with that photo.”

Born at Ballinphrase near Rathdowney, Co Laois on 5 July 1903, Statia has lived at Abbeylands in Castledermot for the past 16 years. “I moved here to look after my sister Lizzie O’Neill in 1990, but sadly Lizzie died.”

Looking remarkably well for a woman of her age, Statia puts her longevity down to the fact that she always kept her heart and has been contented with what she had. “I never did any harm to anyone. I have always tried to help out anyone when I could and that is the way I have lived,” says Statia.

The fact that she has never drank or smoked is probably also responsible for the healthy complexion that makes her look much younger than her 106 years. “I never smoked and I don’t know the taste of whiskey or stout,” says Statia.

Another reason for her youthful looks is that fact that she stayed clear of all cosmetics and potions. “Some women go mad, powdering themselves and getting their hair done. But I never put on that lipstick or paint. I always left myself as God made me.”

Rising from her bed every morning at 9am and retiring 12 hours later at 9pm, Statia is looked after every day by her home help Lilly Howe as well as by a large circle of friends and family. However, it is on her grandnephew Fr Ian O’Neill, whom she describes as her rock, that Statia depends most.

During the wars years, Statia remembers the hardships inflicted on families in Ireland. “I remember surviving on rations. We used to get tea and sugar once a week and you just had made the best of what you got.”

She also remembers the 1918 flu that swept through Ireland. “I remember my cousin Statia Campion giving birth to her first baby in one room and her husband Frank, who had died from the flu, being waked in the room beside her,” she says.

Even though she never found her ideal man, Statia claims she always got on well with members of the opposite sex. “I always had a joke with them. But sure how could any man live with me?” she jokes.

She then goes on to quote with a smile on her face: “Those that get married do well, but those that don’t do better.” Even though she is still searching for the man of her dreams, the devout Catholic is happy with her lot. “I will stay on this earth as long as God will leave me. God has been very good to me,” she adds.

In the standard message sent to Statia, President Mary McAleese stated: “I’m delighted to send you my warmest congratulations and most sincere good wishes on this special occasion. I wish you good health and happiness in all the day ahead.”

As we wind up our conversation, and I unfortunately have to refuse her warm invitation to have a cup of tea, she adds: “Maybe you’ll be coming back next year when I’m 107.” And I have no doubt I will.

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/tabId/511/itemId/4141/Single-girl-106-still-looking-for-a-man.aspx

3 comments:

  1. Sugar, no worries: she sleeps 12 hours a day and doesn't drink-that rules you out completely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought of you ending up like that ... just because you won't do online dating....well, I found this for you: (excerpt)

    Does this sound like you?

    Do you dream of getting married to an honest, loyal, loving, successful, fun man but wind up with men who disappoint you?

    Do you lie awake at night worrying that you’ll always be alone?

    Would you like to meet a considerate, exciting man who makes your happiness his first priority?

    Are you afraid that marriage and children - as much as you want them - will spell the end of your career and hard-won independence?

    Are you tired of being stuck at the singles’ table at other people’s weddings?

    Are you sick of going to bridal showers for other women?

    Do you want to have children but fear that the only way you’ll get them is through a sperm bank?

    Are you fed up with people asking when you’re going to get married??

    http://www.marrysmart.com/

    ROTF LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha okay we'll say when i'm like 28 i'll CONSIDER it..... lol

    ReplyDelete