Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Back to School, Back to School. . .


So after 3 and a half years of wondering 'what if' and 'where do I go from here,' I think I've finally figured it all out. The corporate, business-y world is not for me. And I've known that since probably the day I was born. I'm not really sure what I was thinking when I decided to get into my career field. "Event planning and entertaining, oh my!" Yeah, right.

Ever since I can remember I have said I wanted to be a teacher. When I was younger I was playing school with all of my dolls. I'd pretend to grade papers. I'd read to my stuffed toy classroom. I'd make my mom buy me stamps and stickers for the pretend papers I graded. (I probably had the best educated stuffed animals around!)

But when I got to college I was afraid of taking extra science and math classes that I knew I wouldn't be good at. I was afraid to take a few more standardized tests that I was afraid I wouldn't pass. And I dove into something easy, that I never had to study for and was able to just get by with. It wasn't until my last semester of college that I realized how much I absolutely hated my classes and the work I was doing and that was probably a good indication of how my big girl job would go.

I've regretted for years not following my heart in the first place. So, with much soul-searching, conversations with my mom and friends, and background research, I think I'm finally ready to do what's been nagging at me for so long. I'll be going home this weekend to talk to my dad about funding for my big plans (thank goodness for parents) and hopefully going back to school to do a 6-8 month program to become an elementary school teacher! It will be LOTS of hard work to be taking night and weekend classes on top of my regular full-time job, and between 3 weddings, bridal and baby showers, but I know it will be well worth it. I just feel like it's finally time to start doing what I WANT to do, rather than just getting by.

So, keep your fingers crossed for me that Daddy says *yes*...

1 comment:

  1. I am very proud of you for taking this step. You deserve to be happy and do what you really love. It'll be tough to juggle all that you have going on, but it will be well worth it. Just think about the big picture.

    ReplyDelete