Sunday, October 18, 2009

At Home Hair Dye = A Messy Success

So for about the last year I've been letting my roots go QUITE a bit before I get them touched up. Budget is the main reason. Luckily, my hairdresser does a great job for a great price: cut & color for $80. However, $80 + tip hits the wallet hard these days. Roomie let me in on her secret that she dyes her hair at home quite a bit. The more I thought about it, I was willing to try it out.

Background on my hair:
I have EXTREMELY curly, frizzy hair. I started straightening/flat-ironing it after I graduated college a few years ago. After about a year of doing that, I ruined it. It's a hot mess most of the time with major heat damage. I also started dying it (professionally) a really dark brown, which then turned into black for about a year. I've finally talked my hairdresser into toning down the black and getting it back to a dark brown so we've slowly been working on that. Needless to say, it's damaged from coloring, too.

Anyway, I figured since it's so dark it'd be hard to mess up with at-home-dye.

Garnier Nutrisse was on sale for $5.99 at Target this weekend so I picked up a box. Last night I didn't have anything to do so I figured it was a good time to try it out. I was TERRIFIED! I put down a few old towels, and put on an old t-shirt and boxers. I mixed my solution and soaked my hair in the dye, which got EVERYWHERE. My clothes were ruined, my counter is now stained with dye, and my skin still has dark brown droplet that no amount of scrubbing can take off.

When I got in the shower to rinse, it looked like a muddy mess all over my shower walls and liner. I thought there was no way that I did this right! But, for right now it seems to look pretty good!

I'm still wearing it curly for a few days so I can't tell exactly what it looks like, but I think it worked out well! I'm hoping this is a good budget fix for my hair. This is the color I got: Soft Mahoganey Dark Brown (Rasberry Truffle).

1 comment: